Rev. Fred Jeff Smith Shiloh Baptist Missionary Church
Reverend Fred Jeff Smith is the newly appointed paster of the Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church. His tenure will begin in March, 2013. From 1986 to 1992, Rev. Smith served as Pastor of the First Free Mission Baptist Church of New Orleans. Since March, 1992, he has served as Pastor of the Greater Mount Carmel Baptist Church of Scotlandville.
Fred Jeff Smith is a native of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He received his secondary edu-cation at Baton Rouge High Magnet School. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from Louisiana State University in 1983, and his Master of Divinity degree from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary in 1986, in the Division of Pastoral Ministries.
Among his many affiliations, Rev. Smith is:
• Member (Past-President) of the Fourth District Congress of Christian Education.
• Member of the Fourth District Missionary Baptist Association.
• Member of the Louisiana Baptist State Convention.
• Member of the National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.
• Member (Past-Board President) of the Interfaith Federation of Greater Baton Rouge.
• A member of the Board of Directors of the Working Interfaith Network.
• A member of the Board of Directors for Habitat for Humanity of Greater Baton Rouge.
• A member of Together Baton Rouge.
• A member of the Mid-City Christian Fellowship.
Rev. Smith is married to Rev. Demetria LeVel Jones-Smith, and they have two sons, Charles Turnbull Smith, II and Myles Gabriel Smith.
What are the programs and initiatives helping our veterans successfully transition to civilian life?
Since 2001, 2.6 million service men and women have been deployed to support operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Twenty-six percent of Louisiana’s veterans fought in these conflicts. The needs for these veterans are plentiful including securing employment and housing, and dealing with the mental rigors of transitioning from military back to civilian life.
Louisiana Public Square explores the unique programs and initiatives that are helping our state’s younger veterans successfully overcome these challenges on “Louisiana Veterans Back Home” Wednesday, October 24 at 7 p.m. on LPB and in New Orleans on WLAE. (Recording Thursday, October 18.)
Veterans Coming Home is a collaborative, multi-platform public media project between Wisconsin Public Television and Kindling Group in partnership with local stations and other national organizations. Veterans Coming Home is made possible with support from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.