Louisiana Public Square | LPB
  Programs|
Schedules|
play button image Watch|
Services|
Education|
News|
Friends|
Kids|
Shop LPB|
Contact|
About Us|
Sunday, May 20, 2018
Donate Now!!
Louisiana Public Square
LPS Home |
Program Topics |
About the Show |
Be in the Audience |
Submit a Comment |
Links & Resources |
Press Room |
Watch Online |
Get a Copy on DVD |

Panelist Bio


Dr. Michael E. Salassi
Professor, LSU Agricultural Center

Michael Salassi is a Professor in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness in the LSU Agricultural Center, serving since 1994.

He has a 10% teaching appointment with the LSU A&M campus, teaching undergraduate and graduate level courses in quantitative business decision analysis. The remaining 90% of his academic appointment is with the LSU Agricultural Center where he conducts research and extension activities in crop production economics and farm business management.

He received his undergraduate and master’s degrees from Louisiana State University and his doctorate in Agricultural Economics from Mississippi State University. Prior to returning to LSU, Dr. Salassi worked with USDA’s Economic Research Service in Washington, D.C.

His research focuses specifically on the economics of rice and sugar production in Louisiana. He has worked closely with various sectors of those industries in evaluating the economic impacts of issues relating to farm management, crop production and marketing, environmental regulations, commodity market structure and performance, and domestic farm policy. In addition, he is also involved in evaluating the economic feasibility of utilizing alternative feedstocks to produce ethanol and other biofuels in Louisiana.

His many awards include the LSU AgCenter Nelson Fairbanks Endowed Professorship and the Administrator’s Honor Award from USDA’s Farm Service Agency in Washington, D.C.

Dr. Salassi is married to Brenda Salassi, who serves as the Coordinator of the Law Clinic within the LSU Law School. They have a daughter Lauren, who is majoring in Business at Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond, and a son Preston, who will be a senior at Parkview Baptist School in Baton Rouge.

Current Topic


     05/18 - News About the News

How can viewers distinguish between fact and fake news and is social media blurring the difference?
According to the 2018 Louisiana Survey, when it comes to trusting news organizations, more Louisiana residents put their faith in local media than national media outlets. Despite that trust, only 36 percent of the state’s news consumers say local news deals fairly with both sides.

So, why is there so much mistrust of the news media? What role has the downsizing of traditional media played in creating a gap in coverage and possibly, community trust? Where are consumers primarily getting their news? And, how can viewers distinguish between fact and fake news and is social media blurring the difference? Louisiana Public Square looks for answers to these questions and more on “News about the News” airing Wednesday, May 23 at 7pm on LPB and in New Orleans on WLAE. (Recording Tuesday, May 22)

Our panelists are:
• Len Apcar, Wendell Gray Switzer Jr. Endowed Chair in Media Literacy, LSU Manship School
• Jarvis DeBerry, Deputy Opinion Editor, New Orleans Times-Picayune
• Peter Kovacs, Editor, The Advocate
• Lance Porter, Director, LSU Social Media Analysis & Creation Lab

LPB CEO, Beth Courtney and journalist and political historian, Bob Mann moderate the discussion. The program features interviews with Michael Henderson, director of the LSU Public Policy Research Lab; Ray Pingree, Associate Professor wth the LSU Manship School of Communication; John DeSantis, Senior Staff Writer for The Houma Times and Judi Terzotis, president of The Advocate.

Louisiana Public Square can also be heard on public radio stations WRKF in Baton Rouge; Red River Radio in Shreveport and Monroe; and WWNO in New Orleans. Check their station websites for schedule.
Learn More!
Join in the conversation! Share your comments on:
Public Square Facebook Public Square on Facebook
Public Square Twitter Public Square on Twitter

Special Presentation


     05/16 - Louisiana Veterans Coming Home

What challenges do our returning veterans face?
 

Recent Topics


     04/18 - Balancing Eldercare

How much does Louisiana spend on nursing homes versus home and community-based care?

     03/18 - Making Schools Safe

Where does Louisiana stand in this national discussion?

     02/18 - Drawing the Line: Sexual Harassment in Louisiana

How widespread is the problem in our state? Take the survey!

     01/18 - Early Education Matters

Should early childhood education be a priority?
»»» View all Topics!
protect my public media About Jobs @ LPB Privacy Policy Public & EEO Reports louisiana.gov LPB Webmail Closed Captions Contact & Address
© 2018 LETA. All Rights Reserved.