I hope the new school year is off to a great start! As I write this newsletter, we are anticipating more rainfall from Tropical Storm Harvey. I pray each and everyone of you, your familes and friends are safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with Texas as they deal with catastrophic loss. If you need resources for young children to help them during natural disasters, go to LPB's Hurricane Page
and you'll find them under "Children's Resources." Also materials are available on PBS KIDS LEARN
. I hope you find some useful resources this month to help make this school year stellar! Don't forget to follow our LPB LearningMedia Facebook page
for daily curriculum resources, fresh news and exciting events that are coming your way!
1. Two Virtual Field Trips offered by Discovery Education!
brings a new Virtual Field Trip brought to you in partnership with America's Navy, Navy's Elite STEM Workforce: Aboard the USS Nimitz
. This is the first-ever Navy STEM Virtual Field Trip. Tune-in Thursday, September 7 at 12 PM CT
as we take flight to one of the greatest aircraft carriers ever built - the USS Nimitz. Exclusive interviews with some of the Navy's elite sailors will provide students with personal insights into a variety of Naval careers with a once-in-a-lifetime look at Navy STEM in action! Register today here
. Then, submit your student questions ahead of time
for the chance to have them answered live.
Also, on Thursday, September 14th at 12 PM CT
, join Discovery Education for a Behind-the-Scenes of the US Open with James Blake
. James Blake, USTA Foundation Chairman and former world #4 tennis pro, shares his experience and insider's knowledge of the many diverse and dynamic career paths available to students in the tennis industry. This exclusive event will take students behind-the-scenes at the new USTA National Campus in Orlando, Florida and the 2017 US Open at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York to learn how they can turn their passions and talents into a dream job within the tennis industry in technology, coaching, event management and more! Give it a shot and register today
2. Don't forget about the 8th Annual Boot Camp: Financial Fitness for You and Your Classroom
- Presented by Louisiana Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy and the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, either Friday, September 15th
, Brumfield Ballroom, LSUA in Alexandria or Friday, October 13th
, Conference Center, 3113 Valley Creek Drive in Baton Rouge. This Financial Education Boot Camp is designed to equip Louisiana Educators
with the knowledge, tools and free classroom resources to teach students to become financially savvy and take control of their financial futures. If you teach principles of personal finance in any setting; traditional academic coursework, career track courses like Journey to Careers, CTE, etc., or even if you want to learn more about infusing personal finance concepts in your classroom with content-crossing, standards-based, engaging curricula, then this Boot Camp is for YOU! Join us for a one-day, FULLY INTERACTIVE, workshop where you will “test drive” hands-on activities for your classroom. Subject matter experts will facilitate your exploration of programs designed to engage and motivate students as they develop critical thinking and decision-making skills in the areas of: Earning, Spending, Saving, and Investing
. REGISTER NOW
! The cost is only $75 for a full day. Limited scholarships available. Make request by 9/13 when registering online. Participants may earn up to 5 continuing learning units (CLUs) for attending.
3. PBS LearningMedia Back to School Toolkit
! Wishing you a happy, productive, and stress-free (?!) back-to-school month! We know your back-to-school calendar is packed with places to go and people to see! That’s why we created a simple, virtual toolbox with free resources you can access on-the-go. Videos, productivity tools, webinars, discount codes, and an interactive calendar, all in one spot. We hope these materials will help you step confidently into the new school year and equip you for the teaching adventures that lie ahead. Check Out the Toolkit
4. Check out these back to school resources from PBS LearningMedia
Wild Kratts Collection
- Wild Kratts joins the adventures of Chris and Martin Kratt as they encounter incredible wild animals. This series combines science education with fun and adventure as the duo travels to animal habitats around the globe!
American Icons Collection
- Encourage students to explore the contributions to society made by prominent Americans from all walks of life. Featuring notable figures like Helen Keller and Cesar Chavez, each lesson plan includes a short video and accompanying activities.
I <3 Math Collection
- This collection introduces key Common Core concepts in 4th-8th grade mathematics. Each video focuses on building conceptual understanding of a topic, so that students understand the “how” and “why” behind mathematical problem solving.
Ruff Ruffman: Humble Media Genius
- Helping your students cultivate their digital citizenship footprint can be tricky. That's why we've created this engaging collection of Ruff Ruffman videos to help address topics including texting, sharing photographs online, conducting searches, and finding the appropriate balance of technology and media use in everyday life.
Don't have a PBS LearningMedia account yet? Go to LPB's Education Page
and scroll down to the LPB LearningMedia login box. Click on "Not yet a member, Sign Up now!"
5. PLUM LANDING's Explore Outdoors Toolkit is ready!
Promote environmental science teaching and learning through fun and physically active outdoor experiences for 6- to 9-year olds. PLUM LANDING's Outdoor RX teamed up with outdoor prescription programs in urban areas to research and develop the toolkit. They found that families and educators don’t take full advantage of parks and other green spaces due to concerns over safety and transportation, or because families and educators simply lack the time needed to plan activities. PLUM LANDING's Explore Outdoors Toolkit
was designed to help educators and families overcome these and other obstacles. Please share and use this toolkit
to help get kids outdoors and moving!
6. Don't forget...THE VIETNAM WAR - A FILM BY KEN BURNS & LYNN NOVICK
premieres on LPB on September Premiere September 17 at 7:00 p.m. CT. The first five episodes will air nightly from Sunday, September 17, through Thursday, September 21. The final five episodes will air nightly from Sunday, September 24, through Thursday, September 28. Beginning Tuesday, October 3, the series will re-air on a weekly basis through November 28, at 8:00 p.m. CT. Join us for a special screening of “The Vietnam War” in Baton Rouge on September 10 or Pineville on September 12. Click here for information
Check out this blog post on PBS Teachers Lounge: Teaching the Vietnam War Through Diverse Perspectives
. There are also Vietnam War Learning Resources on LPB's The Vietnam War: Louisiana Remembers website
, including information about the Hometown Heroes project for students
7. Dive in to a special week of underwater adventures with Splash, Bubbles, and their Reeftown friends
as they learn amazing discoveries in their own backyard. Four new episodes
on 9/25, 9/26, 9/27, 9/28 at 9:30 a.m. on LPB.
I hope this new school year is amazing! Let me know how you like the shorter newsletter. Don't forget to follow LPB's LearningMedia Facebook page
for more up-to-date information, timely resources, news, contests, etc.
Take care, Nancy Tooraen